Saturday, April 19, 2008

Which one are you?

There are two theories of the nature of work: the Humanistic theory and the Commodity theory. Which one does it apply to you?

Humanistic theory:
Work is a natural way of expending accumalated bodily energy. It is healthy, productive and valuable in itself. People enjoy work because it is healthy and fulfilling and because they seek through work to create a higher for of society. This applies to jobs implying more individual choice and autonomy.

Commodity theory:
Work is a commodity to be sold for the maximum return. Labour has no intrinsic (direct) value other than as a means of obtaining goods and services. No one works unless they have to. The job ends at 5 o'clock.

My work went through both of theories at some moment in past. Now I am somewhere in betwwen, but I still bring work home ... more humanistic it seems...

1 comment:

Mihai Campean said...

Interesting theories :). I would have to say that I'm more humanistic, to strictly answer your question, but as you nicely put it, there are periods when I do not consider it that.
The thing is that I chose my profession because it was something I like and I wanted to do to enjoy it. Because of that, I am most of the times inclined to the humanistic theory, but sometimes, when I'm not challenged enough at work, I tend to go on the commodity side :).
I think the trick is to always try to earn your living doing something you like and enjoy - something easier said than done :).